FIA Forum: Commodities 202221 June 2022 - 22 June 2022 • 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM CT • The Houstonian • Houston, TX
Historic market developments fueled by the global pandemic and geopolitical events are impacting all facets of commodity firm operations, from the C-suite to legal, compliance, risk and back-office functions. FIA Forum: Commodities 2022 returns to Houston on 21-22 June to tackle the issues that are top of mind for physical commodity and derivatives market participants and service providers in energy, agriculture and metals.
Sessions will examine commercial and operational risks for firms: commodity market trends and volatility, the impact of margin constraints on liquidity and hedging and lessons learned from recent market disruptions in the US and Europe. Sessions will also focus on legal and compliance risks: federal and state policy and regulations; CFTC, FERC, SRO and exchange enforcement and investigations, trade surveillance and compliance programs, sanctions, position limits, reporting…the list goes on. They will also explore how these issues bring opportunities for the industry.
The Forum will showcase FIA’s deep bench of industry expertise, including regulators, exchanges, commodity firms, financial institutions, and law firms and consultants. The full program schedule can be accessed below. For lawyers in attendance: seven CLE credit hours are pending in Texas, Virginia and Illinois.
In addition to the scheduled programming, the forum offers a fantastic opportunity to connect with regulators and colleagues in the industry.
Online registration is closed. Walk ups are allowed.
This event is closed to the press.
If you have issues registering, please contact FIA email@example.com.
11:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CT
Registration and Check-In
Lanyards sponsored by Allen & Overy LLP
12:30 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. CT
- Michael Sorrell, Deputy General Counsel, FIA
12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. CT
CFTC & DOJ Enforcement
Civil and criminal enforcement experts will discuss the latest cases brought by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Department of Justice and the practical implications for commodities traders and firms.
- Stacie Hartman, Partner and Co-Chair, Financial Services Group, Steptoe
- Clifford Histed, Partner, K & L Gates
- Brian Kidd, Partner, Morrison Foerster
- Chuck Marvine, Deputy Director & Regional Administrator, Division of Enforcement, CFTC
- Greg Mocek, Partner, Allen & Overy
- Anne Termine, Partner, Bracewell
1:45 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. CT
2:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. CT
Navigating Regulator Inquiries and Investigations
What should you do when you hear from a regulator or exchange regarding your firm’s market activity or regulatory obligations? Representatives from leading exchanges, the National Futures Association and private bar will discuss dos and don’ts.
- Elizabeth Davis, Partner, McGonigle
- Paul Pantano, Partner, Willkie Farr & Gallagher
- Josh Sterling, Partner, Jones Day
- Patrick Swartzer, Director - Market Regulation, ICE Futures U.S. Inc.
- Regina Thoele, Senior Vice President, Compliance, NFA
- Andrew Vrabel, Managing Director & Chief Regulatory Officer, CME Group
3:15 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. CT
Practical Tips for Trade Surveillance & Compliance Programs
Panelists will identify best practices for developing, implementing and enforcing trade surveillance and compliance programs, informed by recent enforcement actions and guidance.
- Neal Kumar, Partner, Willkie Farr & Gallagher
- Stephan Ariyan, Chief Legal Officer, Atomyze
- John Clowney, Senior Vice President, Compliance, Citigroup
- Frank Hayden, Vice President Trading Compliance, Calpine Corporation
- Erin Middleton, Manager, Rules & Regulatory Outreach, Market Regulation, CME Group
- Diane Zeiler, Head of Compliance, Hartree Partners
4:15 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. CT
4:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. CT
Walt Lukken, President and CEO of FIA, will interview Carolyn Comer, one of the most senior executives in energy trading. Carolyn will discuss the importance of trading and liquidity as the industry embarks on structural change with the energy transition.
- Walt Lukken, President & CEO, FIA
- Carolyn Comer, President, Shell Energy North America
5:00 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. CT
Commodity and Energy Market Trends: Insights on the Structural Changes Driving Volatility
This panel will discuss several macro trends in the energy industry and the implications for energy derivatives markets.
- Will Acworth, SVP, Publications, Data & Research, FIA
- Clive Christison, Senior Vice President, Fuels Supply and Midstream, BP
- Ben Chu, Head of Trading Analytics and Proprietary Data, Natural Gas, Wood Mackenzie
- Stephanie Staska, Senior Product Manager, Yes Energy
5:45 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. CT
Co-sponsored by FIA and Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
7:30 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. CT
8:15 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. CT
Washington Update: Congressional and Regulatory Initiatives Impacting Commodity Firms
Government affairs experts will discuss federal legislative and regulatory initiatives that stand to impact energy and agricultural markets and firms.
- De'Ana Dow, Partner & General Counsel, Capitol Counsel
- Robert Eskridge, Director Of Government Affairs, ICE/NYSE
- Sarah Tomalty, Senior Advisor, US Regulatory Affairs, BP
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. CT
Carbon & Environmental Markets
Panelists will review the latest regulatory and market developments in the physical and derivatives markets for carbon and other emerging environmental products.
- Kari Larsen, Partner, Perkins Coie
- Margo Bailey, Counsel, Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Nathan Clark, Managing Director of North America, IncubEx
- Kara Dutta, Assistant Vice President, ICE
- Abigail Knauff, Special Counsel, Office of Chairman, Rostin Behnam, CFTC
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. CT
Co-sponsored by FIA and Mizuho Americas
10:15 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. CT
Margin Mania: How Commodity Firms Are Coping with Extreme Volatility in Margin Requirements
This panel will examine some of the impacts that the spike in margin requirements is having on futures markets and end-users.
- Demetri Karousos, President, Nodal Clear
- Tija Kurian, Director, CCP Risk, Societe Generale
- Jeff Ollada, Managing Director, Futures Division, Mizuho Americas
- Alex Vugman, Founder and Chief Revenue Officer, Optimargin
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. CT
FERC Enforcement and Regulatory Developments
This session will examine recent enforcement and regulatory initiatives of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and their implications for traders and firms in gas and power markets.
- Michael Spafford, Partner, Paul Hastings
- Robert Fleishman, Partner, Kirkland & Ellis
- Shaun Ledgerwood, Principal, The Brattle Group
- Kathleen McArthur, Partner, Sullivan & Cromwell
- Jeremy Medovoy, Deputy Director, Division of Investigations, Office of Enforcement, FERC
- Charles Mills, Partner, Bracewell
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. CT
Lunch co-sponsored by FIA and Nodal Exchange
During lunch, CFTC Commissioner Summer Mersinger will discuss her priorities for the agency and role as the sponsor of the Energy and Environmental Markets Advisory Committee, followed by a Q&A moderated by FIA President & CEO Walt Lukken.
- Walt Lukken, President & CEO, FIA
- Summer Mersinger, Commissioner, Commodity Futures Trading Commission
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. CT
Lessons Learned from Market Disruptions & Volatility
Commodities markets are experiencing historic volatility. This panel will offer practical insights for navigating the current volatility and what firms can do to help mitigate the risks moving forward.
- Casey Khan, Counsel, Sidley Austin
- Kelly Funderburk, Managing Director and Associate General Counsel Global Commodities, Bank of America
- Jonathan Marcus, Partner, Reed Smith
- Amberly Sheppard, Head of Legal, Energy & Supply, Pilot Travel Centers
- Alexander Holtan, Partner, Eversheds Sutherland
- Thane Twiggs, Compliance Officer, Cargill
2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. CT
Co-sponsored by FIA and Mizuho Americas
2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. CT
Compliance and Operations Hot Topics
- Petal Walker, Managing Director, Risk & Financial Advisory, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Rob Emmett, Head of Compliance, Americas, Vitol
- Peter Malyshev, Partner, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft
- Jamila Piracci, Managing Director, Patomak
- Jon Schlamp, Senior Vice President Commodities & Global Markets, Macquarie Futures
3:30 p.m. CT
Schedule subject to change.
111 North Post Oak Lane
Houston, TX 77024
Guestrooms in the forum room block at The Houstonian are sold out. You may contact the property to inquire about room availability at 713-680-2626
The following hotels are in close proximity to the forum venue. You may contact these hotels to seek hotel accommodations. FIA does not have negotiated rates with these properties and cannot confirm or guarantee availability.
Omni Houston Hotel
4 Riverway, Houston, TX 77056
1080 Uptown Park Blvd, Houston, TX 77056
Houston Marriott West Loop by The Galleria
1750 W Loop S, Houston, TX 77027
FIA takes the health and wellbeing of event attendees and staff seriously. We ask that you do not travel to or attend the event if you have tested positive for Covid or have experienced any Covid symptoms in the last five days before the event. If you develop Covid symptoms or test positive for Covid during the event, we ask that you leave the event venue as soon as possible.
We encourage attendees to follow good hygiene practices, such as using hand sanitizer, which will be made available throughout the event venue, and washing hands regularly.
If you have questions regarding this policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellation and Substitution Policy:
Notice of cancellation must be received in writing before 1 June 2022 and will be subject to an $50 administrative fee, e-mail Member Services at MemberServices@fia.org. No refunds will be made after 1 June 2022, and all monies owed at the time of cancellation will be due immediately. Substitutions may be made at any time without penalty.
FIA values the privacy of our members, event registrants and website users. We enforce policies to safeguard the personal information that is entrusted to us by the FIA community. Direct contact information, such as addresses, emails and telephone numbers, are treated as confidential. FIA never sells its registration lists to third parties and will never contact you offering to sell such information. We regret that you may become the target of these unsolicited offers and appreciate your assistance in bringing them to our attention. Your privacy is a top priority for FIA. We encourage you to review our Privacy Statement for a comprehensive description of how FIA may use your personal information and out key privacy policies.
Filming, Videotaping and Recording Policy:
No portion of this event may be filmed, videotaped or otherwise recorded for posting or distribution without prior authorization from FIA. Further, by registering for this program, you consent to FIA’s use, reproduction, editing, publishing and distribution of any photographs, videos and other recordings that FIA or its designated photographer may take of registrants and attendees during the program.
The Houstonian • 111 North Post Oak Ln • Houston, TX 77024
FIA Forum: Commodities 2022